International Yoga Day 2019

by: The Health Plus Team

A Sci­ence for World Peace

Yo­ga is de­scribed as the an­cient sci­ence which fo­cus­es on bring­ing har­mo­ny be­tween mind, body, man and na­ture.

Trac­ing its ori­gins from the dawn of civ­i­liza­tion, Yo­ga goes be­yond the ba­sic me­chan­ics of ex­er­cise as it fo­cus­es on the union of the in­di­vid­ual con­scious­ness (soul) with the Uni­ver­sal Con­scious­ness (Spir­it). It is a sys­tem of rais­ing your abil­i­ty to per­ceive, to en­hance and ul­ti­mate­ly reach self-re­al­i­sa­tion.

In keep­ing with the Gov­ern­ment of In­dia’s mot­to “Va­sud­hi­va Ku­tum­bakum,” The Whole World is one Fam­i­ly, Yo­ga is that tool which works to­wards uni­fy­ing the world to­geth­er by pro­mot­ing fra­ter­ni­ty, har­mo­ny, holis­tic well-be­ing and over­all peace.

The con­cept of In­ter­na­tion­al Day of Yo­ga was pro­posed by In­dia’s Prime Min­is­ter Naren­dra Mo­di to the Unit­ed Na­tions Gen­er­al As­sem­bly on 27th Sep­tem­ber 2014. It came in­to ef­fect that same year, as the Unit­ed Na­tions for­mal­ly recog­nised 21st June, 2015 as World Yo­ga Day. The de­ci­sion was pos­i­tive­ly adopt­ed by 177 coun­tries, in­clud­ing the Re­pub­lic of Trinidad and To­ba­go.

This year, the High Com­mis­sion of In­dia, in col­lab­o­ra­tion with var­i­ous part­ners such as the In­ter­na­tion­al Day of Yo­ga Com­mit­tee, Min­istry of Health, Min­istry of Com­mu­ni­ty De­vel­op­ment, Cul­ture and the Arts, Min­istry of Sport and Youth Af­fairs, Ch­aguara­mas De­vel­op­ment Au­thor­i­ty, Na­tion­al Coun­cil for In­di­an Cul­ture (NCIC) and var­i­ous Yo­ga Cen­tres in T&T, will be cel­e­brat­ing the fifth In­ter­na­tion­al Yo­ga Day on 16th June, 2019 at the Ch­aguara­mas Board­walk.

The High Com­mis­sion of In­dia is proud to an­nounce its ex­ten­sive work be­ing done across the coun­try to raise aware­ness about yo­ga and its over­all health ben­e­fits. At present, yo­ga is be­ing taught in schools at all age lev­els across the coun­try, such as:

St Clement Vedic School, San Fer­nan­do

AS­JA Girls’ Col­lege, San Fer­nan­do

Chin­maya Mis­sion schools in Debe, Cou­va and Gas­par­il­lo

SWA­HA Hin­du Col­lege, San­gre Grande

Dayanand Memo­r­i­al Pri­ma­ry School, Pe­nal

In ad­di­tion, Yo­ga is be­ing taught to mem­bers of the gen­er­al pub­lic at the Ma­hat­ma Gand­hi In­sti­tute for Cul­tur­al Co-op­er­a­tion, Ch­agua­nas and the High Com­mis­sion of In­dia in Port-of-Spain.

In the near fu­ture, the High Com­mis­sion of In­dia pro­pos­es to ex­tend its out­reach of yo­ga by pro­vid­ing Tech­ni­cal and Teacher’s train­ing cours­es as well as in­cor­po­rat­ing ICT through the use of au­dio-vi­su­al tools to help in the dis­sem­i­na­tion of knowl­edge. The High Com­mis­sion of In­dia al­so in­tends to col­lab­o­rate with nu­mer­ous stake­hold­ers to in­clude Yo­ga as a prac­ti­cal op­tion for healthy liv­ing.

Yo­ga does not ad­here to any par­tic­u­lar re­li­gion, be­lief sys­tem or com­mu­ni­ty. Aimed at achiev­ing in­ner well­be­ing, any­one who prac­tices yo­ga can reap its ben­e­fits, ir­re­spec­tive of one’s faith, eth­nic­i­ty or cul­ture. In keep­ing with that phi­los­o­phy, the High Com­mis­sion of In­dia en­cour­ages all to avail them­selves to the on­go­ing schol­ar­ship cours­es in Yo­ga un­der the flag­ship pro­gramme of ITEC. Since its in­cep­tion in 2017, a num­ber of fel­low Trin­bag­o­ni­ans had the op­por­tu­ni­ty to par­take in the ITEC pro­gramme ti­tled ‘A Spe­cial Course for Yo­ga Train­ers’.

The High Com­mis­sion of In­dia in­vites the pub­lic to join in as it cel­e­brates the 5th In­ter­na­tion­al Yo­ga Day on Sun­day 16th June at the Ch­aguara­mas Board­walk. There will al­so be food stalls of­fer­ing Veg­e­tar­i­an food of dif­fer­ent types.

Ar­ti­cle cour­tesy

the High Com­mis­sion of In­dia

Share.

About Author

Leave A Reply