Some voters happy with boundary shift

by: Akash Samaroo

Patricia Serette speaks with Guardian Media at her Blanche Fraser Street home, yesterday.
MICHEAL RAMSINGH

Unit­ed Na­tion­al Con­gress sup­port­ers liv­ing in the con­stituen­cy of San Fer­nan­do East say they are in full sup­port of the Elec­tion and Bound­aries Com­mis­sion’s pro­pos­al to move their polling di­vi­sions to San Fer­nan­do West as they be­lieve their vote will fi­nal­ly count.

Liv­ing in the San Fer­nan­do East con­stituen­cy, they’ve grown ac­cus­tomed to the Peo­ple’s Na­tion­al Move­ment win­ning that seat, in fact, the par­ty has nev­er lost it.

Now they say they have a rea­son to vote.

They re­side along Rush­worth and Blanche Fras­er streets which fall with­in polling di­vi­sions 4190 and 4195, the two the EBC pro­posed to be trans­ferred to San Fer­nan­do West. The Op­po­si­tion Leader on April 15, said the move would ben­e­fit the PNM, but that may not nec­es­sar­i­ly be so.

One res­i­dent along Blanche Fras­er Street said she and her hus­band were strong UNC sup­port­ers and they ful­ly en­dorsed the EBC’s pro­pos­al.

“I think it’s a good thing be­cause for the past years I’ve been liv­ing here, it’s just one par­ty win­ning, now I will be more en­cour­aged to vote, over the years I go to vote I know the re­sult would al­ways be the same, now I want to vote,” said the busi­ness own­er, who asked to re­main anony­mous due to the po­lit­i­cal na­ture of the top­ic.

A few hous­es away, an­oth­er el­der­ly woman, who al­so asked for anonymi­ty, said she and her hus­band have al­ways vot­ed for UNC in the PNM strong­hold. She too is wel­com­ing a change.

“I think it is a very very good idea, I’ve al­ways been a UNC sup­port­er, I am very much in sup­port of the EBC’s pro­pos­al.

But Pa­tri­cia Serette did not hide her iden­ti­ty or al­le­giance. She proud­ly de­clared her sup­port for the PNM and said she does not mind tak­ing her vote to a mar­gin­al seat.

“I could help the PNM as long as I know what the can­di­date stands for, you have to be­lieve that vote will count.”

Serette ad­mit­ted that she was not aware of the EBC’s pro­pos­al but to her, it does not mat­ter as much, she will con­tin­ue to vote for the PNM.

A res­i­dent of Rush­worth Street said he has grown ac­cus­tomed to the po­lit­i­cal game in the San Fer­nan­do East con­stituen­cy. He said in the past the vot­ing pop­u­la­tion in the con­stituen­cy had been al­tered by way of HDC homes. The man said there were a lot more peo­ple of East In­di­an de­scent in the San Fer­nan­do East con­stituen­cy in the past. He says the EBC’s pro­pos­al is just an­oth­er move in the chess game of pol­i­tics.

Par­lia­ment will de­cide on the trans­fer of the polling di­vi­sions for those two con­stituen­cies as one of sev­er­al pro­pos­als sub­mit­ted to the House of Rep­re­sen­ta­tives.

Share.

About Author

Leave A Reply