Trini mom surprises Royal Navy recruit at grad

by: News Desk

Trip paid for by fel­low re­cruits

T&T Royal Navy recruit Quaci Crosby (l) hugs his mother, Althea Crosby at the passing-out parade in Plymouth, England.

T&T Royal Navy recruit Quaci Crosby (l) hugs his mother, Althea Crosby at the passing-out parade in Plymouth, England.

A Trinidad and To­ba­go Roy­al Navy re­cruit got the sur­prise of his life when his moth­er turned up at his pass­ing out pa­rade in Ply­mouth, Eng­land, thanks to the gen­eros­i­ty of a fel­low trainee.

Re­cruit Quaci Cros­by joined the Roy­al Navy in March and is among the lat­est group of trainee sailors cel­e­brat­ing the end of their 10-week ba­sic train­ing course at HMS Raleigh in Corn­wall.

Ac­cord­ing to a re­port pub­lished by www.forces.net, he wasn’t ex­pect­ing his moth­er, Althea Cros­by, who did not have the funds to pay for a flight, to be in the group of fam­i­lies and friends in­vit­ed to the pa­rade.

But un­be­known to him, his com­rade, Re­cruit Cameron Hawes, had se­cret­ly or­gan­ised and paid for Re­cruit Cros­by’s moth­er to be flown 7,000 miles from Trinidad and To­ba­go to be at her son’s big day.

Re­cruit Hawes sought the as­sis­tance of his own moth­er, Sarah Hole, to put his plan in­to ac­tion.

The re­port states that she trans­ferred some of Cameron’s sav­ings to Mrs Cros­by so that she could pur­chase a flight to the UK.

Af­ter fly­ing thou­sands of miles to be at the pa­rade to wit­ness her son – fol­low­ing his dreams of join­ing the Roy­al Navy, Mrs Cros­by said: “I can’t even de­scribe it, it was just so thrilling.”

Ex­plain­ing his de­ci­sion to or­gan­ise the sur­prise, 20-year-old re­cruit Hawes said: “In week five the class was start­ing to talk about our pa­rade and who we were go­ing to in­vite. Re­cruit Cros­by said that while he want­ed to bring his mum, he didn’t have the funds to bring her across and I thought that was a bit sad. When we got to week sev­en we start­ed talk­ing about it again. It was then that I phoned my mum and said I want­ed to do some­thing.”

Af­ter Re­cruit Hawes told the train­ing staff and his fel­low trainees what he had done, the sur­prise be­came more of a team ef­fort.

He said: “I asked if any­one else would like to con­tribute, to make it a group thing, rather than just me, and we’ve raised about £500, which is near­ly half the cost of the flight. It has been quite hard to keep it a se­cret be­cause he [Cros­by] has been talk­ing about what he is go­ing to do and where he is go­ing to stay af­ter we pass out. As a class, we haven’t re­al­ly spo­ken about it be­cause we have been busy every day, but as the day grew near­er we start­ed to get ex­cit­ed.”

Miss Hole even arranged and cov­ered the cost of Mrs Cros­by’s trans­port to Ply­mouth and her ac­com­mo­da­tion costs.

She al­so mo­bi­lized the sup­port of oth­er fam­i­lies to help host Mrs Cros­by dur­ing her stay in the UK.

Re­cruit Hawes said: “Every­one in the class is close, but Cros­by and I have been best friends from the start re­al­ly. We talk about the same stuff – I play bas­ket­ball and he knows a bit about it. We share the same opin­ions on most things and he’s al­ways had my back. I’ve found train­ing re­al­ly stress­ful, but he’s been re­al­ly sup­port­ive. When I failed my kit muster in week sev­en, I was re­al­ly dis­ap­point­ed be­cause I tried re­al­ly hard and he helped me get my kit sort­ed so I could pass.”

Source: www.forces.net

Share.

About Author

Leave A Reply