Princes Town facility gets ministry facelift

The In­ver­ness Recre­ation Ground, lo­cat­ed in Princes Town, is the lat­est com­mu­ni­ty ground to ben­e­fit from up­grades by the Sport Com­pa­ny of T&T, (SPORTT) the im­ple­men­ta­tion arm of the Min­istry of Sport.

Sev­er­al dozen recre­ation grounds have been iden­ti­fied for up­grades by the min­istry. The new-look In­ver­ness Recre­ation Ground is now ex­pect­ed to be prop­er­ly utilised with crick­et sea­son in full swing.

The fa­cil­i­ty was hand­ed over to the Princes Town Re­gion­al Cor­po­ra­tion (PTRC) on Wednes­day. Don­ning the cor­po­ra­tion’s colours, the pavil­ion ac­com­mo­dates 500 spec­ta­tors and is com­plete with chang­ing rooms that in­clude show­ers and bath­rooms for both home and away teams. There is al­so a meet­ing space for the vil­lage coun­cil of the area which is ex­pect­ed to man­age the fa­cil­i­ty’s day-to-day af­fairs. Coun­cil­lor Deryck Mathu­ra wel­comed the re­cent­ly com­plet­ed venue at the launch, claim­ing the res­i­dents have been clam­our­ing for a fa­cil­i­ty where they can play and watch crick­et in a fa­cil­i­ty which is safe. Chair­man of the PTRC Aik­nath Singh who al­so at­tend­ed the low-key han­dover cer­e­mo­ny was high in praise for the qual­i­ty of work done by the Min­istry of Sport and as­sured the fa­cil­i­ty would be well main­tained by the cor­po­ra­tion. Singh al­so not­ed that T&TEC is due to in­stall lights around the field to en­able night crick­et and oth­er ac­tiv­i­ties.

The com­plet­ed works in­clude an out­field (us­ing Bermu­da grass) and a turf wick­et; a 500-seater pavil­ion in­clud­ing chang­ing rooms, show­ers, toi­lets, stor­age and meet­ing spaces; one mul­ti­pur­pose hard court; one crick­et prac­tice net, a car park for about eight ve­hi­cles and a drainage fa­cil­i­ty for the out­field.

Share.

About Author

Leave A Reply