Outpouring of support for Gloria

Gloria Nicome during her interview at her Malabar, Arima apartment on Monday.
ABRAHAM DIAZ

by: Shaliza Hassanali

SHAL­IZA HAS­SANALI

There has been an out­pour­ing of sup­port for Glo­ria Nicome who plead­ed with the Hous­ing De­vel­op­ment Cor­po­ra­tion (HDC) for a home af­ter she was re­cent­ly giv­en no­tice by her land­la­dy to va­cate her Mal­abar apart­ment.

Touched by the over­whelm­ing re­sponse she re­ceived from the pub­lic on Christ­mas morn­ing, Nicome, 52, who has been liv­ing with an en­larged tu­mour grow­ing on her back, but­tocks, hips and legs which weighs al­most 200 pounds, said the pos­i­tiv­i­ty bright­ened her day.

Nicome, a moth­er of one, was high­light­ed by Guardian Me­dia ear­li­er this week, as she tear­ful­ly plead­ed with HDC to make an ex­cep­tion and pro­vide her with a roof over her head af­ter re­ceiv­ing an evic­tion no­tice from her land­la­dy whom she has been rent­ing from since 2010.

Hav­ing ap­plied to HDC for a home in 2008, Nicome has been on their wait­ing list since then.

Her heart-wrench­ing sto­ry touched the hearts of many cit­i­zens who tele­phoned her on Christ­mas morn­ing giv­ing her words of en­cour­age­ment and promis­ing to as­sist her fi­nan­cial­ly.

She was of­fered a Christ­mas meal by one of her neigh­bours.

“I re­ceived quite a few calls from peo­ple of­fer­ing to as­sist me fi­nan­cial­ly while oth­ers told me to be strong and not to give up. If I am pro­vid­ed with emer­gency hous­ing by HDC I will use this mon­ey to start afresh. I al­so want to thank Guardian Me­dia and HDC for in­ter­ven­ing on Christ­mas Eve. A dark cloud has been hang­ing over my head since I got the news to va­cate my apart­ment last week, but I am feel­ing a bit up­beat now and hope­ful,” Nicome said.

Busi­ness­man Shane Ram­jat­tan, of Shane Ram­jat­tan Au­to Tech, has con­tributed $5,000 to Nicome as a Christ­mas gift and promis­es a down­pay­ment to­wards her new home if she re­ceives it.

Share.

About Author

Leave A Reply